Phl receives over 660k doses of AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine

September 27, 2021

The Philippines on Friday received a total of 661,200 doses of AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine, which were procured by the private sector and local governments.

The latest shipment was airlifted via China Airlines flight CI 701 and arrived at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal past 9:00 a.m.

The third batch of AstraZeneca shots delivered in the country was welcomed by National Task Force against Covid-19 Chief Implementer and vaccine czar Secretary Carlito Galvez Jr., presidential adviser for entrepreneurship Joey Concepcion, and AstraZeneca Country president Lotis Ramin.

Galvez said the majority or 80 percent of the newly-arrived vaccines will be allocated to local government units outside the National Capital Region, while the remaining 20 percent would go to the private sector.

“Additional 300,000 people will be given life-saving vaccines, doses of hope,” he said.

He also added that 190,000 doses of Sputnik V vaccine will be delivered in the country on Saturday or early next week.

Galvez said the incoming shipment of Sputnik V vaccines will be used for the second dose of those who received the Russian-made vaccines a few months ago.

“As per our vaccine experts from the Department of Health, the gap between first and second doses of Sputnik V can be as long as six months, so no need to worry because the vaccines are arriving soon,” he added.

Meanwhile, Concepcion, who proposed the concept of “bubble bakuna” to the government last month said, the private sector wants to help the government by vaccinating its employees.

“We want to help the government so that we can execute the vaccine rollout in the fastest and most efficient way possible. Allowing us to execute, we could focus on the vaccination of our employees, the LGUs could focus on its constituents, and the national government could focus on the rest that are not covered,” he said.

So far, the country has received more than 58 million doses of Covid-19 since February.